When the doors opened to the Cherokee Orphan Asylum (original name of the institution that is now Sequoyah Schools) in March 1872, students slept in dorm rooms. The first dorm rooms were in the Male Seminary building where the school was first housed. After the Civil War, the Male Seminary had not yet been reopened so the building was available. After a few years, the school was moved to a located on the Grand River at Saline, Indian Territory (present day Salina, Oklahoma). The building burned down in November 1903 and the school was moved to the current location.
Eventually four dorms were built to house the students. There were two for the girls and two for the boys. The younger girls were housed in Home Three while the older girls lived in Cherokee Hall. The older boys were in the “Units” and the younger boys lived in Home One. These dorm rooms held several students per room. In Home One, the younger boys slept in bunk beds. The frames of the bunk beds were made from metal and they had rounded balls or “feet” on the bottom of each leg. Eventually all the younger students were moved to another Indian school leaving only the older students at Sequoyah and these bunk beds were no longer needed.
In 1960, the boys in the vocational class were designing a monument to be built in honor of a beloved boys dorm advisor and athletic mentor who had passed away the year before. The monument is surrounded by a railing as it overlooked a special part of the campus. The boys thought it looked a little bare though, so they decided to spruce it up a bit. Since the bunk beds from Home One were no longer needed, the boys decided to cut off the feet from the bunk beds and weld them on top of each corner of the railing around the monument.
Now the feet that once supported the young boys while they slept would continue as a support to the legacy of this athletic mentor on cool Fall Friday nights.
Where is this monument located?
Answer: Flag pole/monument at the football field